June 19, 2017

When A Weight is Lifted...

Hey peeps.  Today is a day of new beginnings.  Many of you may not know my story and why I actually started writing a blog.  This month is actually my blog anniversary.  I've been blogging since 2009 (I'll be having a blog hop so stay tuned for that) but it came at a time when I was recovering from colon cancer surgery. Anyone who has ever heard those words know how it changes the focus of your life.  You go from just living your life to...how much longer do I have to live?  It's scary and it's a place of fear but with my family and my faith I made it through.

After six years of scanning and worrying I finally received the words I've been waiting for last Friday.  Mrs. Joy you are declared CANCER FREE!!  WOW...I can't even describe to you how I felt.  I couldn't even react at first.  I just kept looking at the doctor like are you sure?  I looked at my husband and in his eyes I could see the relief.  It was "we made it Dane" (my nickname). When I finally had a moment to let the flood gates open I cried like a baby on the phone to my grandmother.
 

My grandmother is also a cancer survivor.  She never let cancer define her and it never stopped her from doing a damn thing.  She is the backbone of our family and an example of the full strength of a woman and my role model.  Her wisdom, which is being passed down to all of her family, is a true testimony to all of us.  Her faith and trust in the Lord is why I called her.  She prayed with me and her soothing words assured me once again that God was always in control and always will be.  No matter what!!  

I had friends who never got to hear those words "you're cancer free" and I have friends who are still fighting. And I've always ask myself why?  Why must they suffer?  When I lost my friends I would cry and ask why have I been spared?  I have come to the conclusion that I don't need to know that answer but I must go on living the life that God has given me.  I need to remember my sweet friends and live in honor for them.  I need to support my friends who are walking their cancer battles today.  I am here for a reason.

Today I walk with a little less fear of what's going on inside of my body.  What are those spots and what do they mean? My mind is a little less worried about the many scans I won't have to have.  And lastly my heart is free to love and live.  I am cancer free!!!  


 photo sig_zpse3eae6d2.png

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

How sweet of you for stopping by. Please come back and see me soon!

Hugs~
Dana

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...